LETTER ON GRAVE STATUS- August 3, 1926
St. Patrick’s Church
August 3, 1926
(Receive Stamped August 4, 1926 Hayward School # 173)
TO: Mr. J.P. Ryder
Superintendent and Distribution Agent
My Dear Mr. Ryder:
May I not ask for information covering the following point (in
removing of flooded graves):
1. How many graves have been removed to date from the Catholic Cemetery?
2. Was the removal generally satisfactory to the Indians?
3. How many graves still remain in the Catholic Cemetery?
4. What are the prospects of having them removed?
5. Is there a time limit to the removal of these graves?
6. Would you give me an outline of what occurred in George James’ complaint about a trespass committed when the Power Company used his land in removing graves? A road was used that ran over his land.
U.S. Senator Lenroot who was our guest here at our Homecoming picnic is very anxious to become acquainted with the general situation up there and it is for this reason I am gathering additional facts.
I do not suppose Mr. Oliver M. Olson ever returned my private files dealing with the Post situation other than the few documents he sent you at your request.
Would it be possible for you to return for my use these letters, maps and other documents sent to you by this Mr. Olson? I would like particularly a copy of the license under which the Company is operating.
Thank you for your kindness in this matter, believe me.
Very truly yours
Philip Gordon (signed)